Monday, March 2, 2009

YASSLA

Having been exposed to Rockville, CA in a reading I had to do in an official capacity (I was forced to read an article), I was moderately interested in seeing it. Having seen the trailer, that moderate interest has fallen, down to less than morbid.



The official description lists it as thus:

Club Rockville is a place where a group of twentysomethings from diverse backgrounds gather regularly to hear their favorite up-and-coming bands, blow off steam, fall in love with the wrong people, and then talk about how they've fallen in love with the wrong people.
The web-based series takes place at a club in LA. One that seems entirely staffed and frequented by white people. I'm not not down with white people, but that's not diverse. Unless, of course, one of them happens to be a quarter Korean and just totally looks white. But, everyone knows that doesn't count.

Now, I know it's Josh Schwartz, so I know that it's going to be white people all the time. But, c'mon, the black guy is the bouncer and doesn't speak? And it's set in LA? I'm sorry, but this isn't the only music club in Avoca, Nebraska after all.

The worst part of it though, is that none of it looks any better than what my friends and I do on the weekends. Only they don't call each other gay as much. Or threaten to rape each other if we B.O.P.O..

Unlucky in love, check. Getting a major burn from talking to a chick, check. Major league douchyness, check. Being the only Asian person* in the group, check.

It's like my life, only with significantly better looking people. And less of a chance of getting anally violated in my sleep. I mean, the writing and cast are completely generic, and while the acting isn't as bad as I've seen it, I've seen my friends say more clever (also creepy) things while inebriated.

Anybody else think that chick with glasses is going to be a fan of Lisa Loeb?

Just because it's cheaper to put on a web-series, doesn't mean you should. Even if you are a professional.

*Technically we had two quarter Koreans, so it was 1.5 Asians.

3 comments:

  1. Just another example of people in Hollywood who fail upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh Schwartz. Even if you don't like his shows, I would consider him a professional; this type of thing is his profession. And looking at the filmographies, these aren't actors that have no TV experience.

    ReplyDelete